Gold Coast Surf Council was formed in December 2012 at Kirra Hill Community and Cultural Centre during a meeting of the leaders of the Gold Coast’s boardriders clubs. The meeting was called to address ongoing concerns of surfers about cruise ship terminals, artificial reefs, sand pumping and increasing vessel traffic.
All present at the meeting agreed on two priorities;
- To petition the Gold Coast City Council and Queensland State Government to work with surfers on the development of Gold Coast surf management plan. A Surf Management Plan will provide a framework to address increasing demands for surfing experiences with the limited capacity of our city’s surfing resources through a partnership between surfing community and State and Local Government. The plan will recognises that the Gold Coast’s surf amenity is a simultaneously valuable yet fragile resource, unavoidable changes of development and population growth place pressure on surfing amenity such that a management process is urgently required.
- To establish a Gold Coast Surf Council to advocate for the interests of the Gold Coast surfing community in coastal planning and management.
The Gold Coast Surf Council met for the first time in February 2013 and appointed an executive comittee to establish the organisation and adopted the following mission statement;
A voice for surfing, committed to the Gold Coasts surf stoke through education, advocacy and partnerships between Surfers, Governments and Beach users to manage the city’s beach amenity.
The Gold Coast Surf Council was incorporated in June 2013 and will hold its first AGM within 6 months. the current executive comittee is;
- Dan Ware President and Co-chair
- Brad Farmer Vice Presdient and Co-chair Founder National Surfing Reserves
- Chris Buttler Secretary
- Jess Hensman Treasurer President Surfrider Gold Coast Tweed
- Wayne Deane Director Snapper Boardriders and Kirra Point Inc
- Pearce Dougherty Director President Table of Knowledge Boardriders
- John Standing Director Snapper Boardriders and Kirra Point inc
- Andrew McCarthy Director Secretary Alley Boardriders
- Scott Rawlings Director Palm Beach Boardriders and Save our Surf Palm Beach
- Mark Williams Director, Contest Director North End Boardriders